top of page

About Our

Mental Health Services

Success Street offers mental health services through UnityPoint Health - Black Hawk Grundy Mental Health Center. Services are available throughout the school day addressing a variety of mental health needs through assessment and individual therapy.

To inquire about School-Based Mental Health Services please contact a school counselor or building administrator, or call Success Street at (319) 433-2780 with any questions. 


What are school-based mental health services?

School-based mental health services include outpatient therapy, assessment, intervention, consultation and referral services for elementary, middle, and high school students. These services aid in addressing mental health needs for youth, while removing barriers that may exist in accessing therapy in a community setting. The outpatient therapy services schedule appointments with students at school, during the school day. School appointment scheduling is flexible and mindful of academic needs. Parental consent is required for those under 18.

What schools are included?

School-based Mental Health Therapists provide therapy in all Waterloo and Cedar Falls public school buildings. 

Who provides school-based mental health services?

In partnership with the School Districts, mental health therapy services are provided through UnityPoint Health-Black Hawk Grundy Mental Health Center. These mental health therapy services are provided by licensed mental health professionals, including social workers and mental health counselors.


Are there costs for these services?

There is no charge to families for mental health services in the school setting. Funding is provided through IA HealthLink, community partnerships and school support.

How are referrals made?

There are two primary ways to access school-based mental health services:

1. Through referral made by parents/guardians, school staff, or other professionals


2. Through self-referral, if the student is of consenting age and ability

When there is a suspected need or concern, parents/guardians can call their child’s school to determine the appropriate professional to contact and the specific services and supports needed.

Referring sources can call 319-433-2780 and ask to speak with the School-based Mental Health Coordinator.

bottom of page